By Robert Hassan
During this groundbreaking publication, media and time theorist Robert Hassan seems on the results of the nexus among neoliberal globalization and the data expertise revolution upon the creation and dissemination of data in technologically complex societies. This nexus has created what Hassan calls an "information ecology," an atmosphere that has effects on the person, tradition and society within the related dialectical methods because the normal and outfitted surroundings. considerably, this data ecology generates its personal temporality, that of "network time," a digitally compressed and speeded up time that has "sped up" society dramatically because the past due Seventies. community time has replaced the mechanics and associations of information creation in society to an unparalleled measure and volume. How we predict, what we expect, and what we deliberate to be "useful" and "legitimate" wisdom is altering in methods (and at a expense) that poses critical difficulties for mass tradition and civil society.
Read or Download The Chronoscopic Society: Globalization, Time and Knowledge in the Network Economy (Digital Formations) PDF
Similar communications books
During this groundbreaking ebook, media and time theorist Robert Hassan seems on the results of the nexus among neoliberal globalization and the data know-how revolution upon the creation and dissemination of data in technologically complex societies. This nexus has created what Hassan calls an "information ecology," an atmosphere that is affecting the person, tradition and society within the related dialectical methods because the normal and outfitted setting.
Studying the way to negotiate for what you will want is a serious ability which will get forward. This consultant explains the aim of negotiating in addition to the 3 features universal to all nice negotiators, 5 how one can deal with clash, 3 video games negotiators play, why adopting a win-win perspective can help construct larger relationships, and the way to devise and perform a winning negotiation technique.
This quantity presents vast serious information regarding present discussions within the examine of speech activities. Its relevant reference element is vintage speech act thought, yet awareness can also be paid to nonstandard advancements and different ways that examine speech as motion. the 1st a part of the amount offers with major thoughts, methodological concerns and phenomena universal to other kinds of speech motion.
Concept, process, and results
- Communications in Mathematical Physics - Volume 208
- A Woman's Guide to Successful Negotiating, Second Edition (Business Skills and Development)
- The Little Red Book of China Business
- Mobile and Personal Satellite Communications 3: Proceedings of the Third European Workshop on Mobile/Personal Satcoms (EMPS 98)
Extra info for The Chronoscopic Society: Globalization, Time and Knowledge in the Network Economy (Digital Formations)
31) Defocalized constituents are metrically invisible for the NSR in English and German. The NSR will therefore correctly assign primary stress to the last word of the subject constituent in (30a) and to the last word in the VP in (28). From now on I will indicate those elements that are metrically invisible 43 44 Page 47 for the NSR, when relevant, by writing them in italics. These are the defocalized phrases, on the one hand, and the function words, on the other hand. Let us now return to the example in (30), repeated in (32).
38 A similar result holds for adjunction structures. Consider the structure in (96), with segments XP1 and XP2. (96) The category YP in (96) c-commands the head of XP1, but no c-command relation holds directly between YP and XP1, because the latter node, being a segment and not a category, is not visible for the computation. Then, YP c-commands XP1 indirectly by (94) and asymmetrically c-commands XP1. The C-NSR can therefore apply to an adjunct and its sister. The only problematic case again would be one in which XP1 in (96) is a head.
38) A: Had John read Slaughterhouse Five? B: No, John doesn't READ books. Although (38) is not a case of contrastive focus, it is clearly a case in which stress has a metagrammatical function. In effect, the answer denies the presupposition entailed by the question, which is that John reads books. Consequently, we can safely assume that the stress in the answer is not a case of NS. 2). 12 But there are other examples cited by Ladd that are not cases of emphatic stress (see also Selkirk 1984, Gussenhoven 1984).